What about lakes constructed without planning permission?

There have been lakes that have been dug without first obtaining planning permission. Often these lakes evolved over the years gradually and at a time when commercial fisheries were not as popular as they are now. If this is the case a Certificate of Lawful Existing Use or Development (CLEUD) can be applied for, if the fishery has existed in its current form for long enough.

CLEUD cases are decided on the balance of probability and therefore factual information submitted with the application is required. If you have a fishery that was built without planning permission and would now like to develop the fishery further, borrow money against the fishery or sell the fishery you should consider the need to obtain a CLEUD.